Author Topic: Going vegetarian (probably only temporarily though)  (Read 22707 times)

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
Going vegetarian (probably only temporarily though)
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:36:57 pm »
I'm thinking of trying the vegetarian thing for a while to see if it makes a difference. I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it up (I'm a die hard carnivore), but I want to give it a try.

To that end, I'd like all the vegetarians/vegans on wotr to please put as many tips and ideas here. Bear in mind, I am a mother and need to cater for my family as well and as they are not going to be doing the veggie thing, I would like to try and keep it simple so I don't have to make seperate meals all the time.

I know vegetarians can eat fruit and veg, but apart from that, what other things can you eat or must you not eat to follow a vegetarian diet.

Offline Bee

• Granddaughter of Hecate
  • Supernatural
Re: Going vegetarian (probably only temporarily though)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »
Well, here's a few links I found to give some cooking ideas.  I'm no vegetarian but some of these meals look really YUMMY!!

http://www.vegcooking.com/
Check out that pineapple curry!!  I love curry! The Chickpea salad looks yum too!!

http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_vegetarian.htm
Vegetarian meals for meat lovers...

http://vegetarian-meals.net/
Looks like it may have a few useful tips. 

http://www.veggiemealplans.com/
Pumpkin Cranberry cake, Mung Bean and Butternut Squash Soup, Roasted Pumpkin Lentil Soup with Pomegranate Molasses... OMG...

If I could afford all these ingredients and with meals like these, I'd convert any day.
Darkness does not always equate evil, just as light does not always brings good.

Offline Nefol Fey

• Simply Solitary
  • Supernatural
    • Reiki by Bronwyn
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 06:17:53 pm »
Well, there are many different types of vegetarian and it's up to you to decide which suits your ideas:

1.Semi-Vegetarians aka Flexitarians
Semi-vegetarians limit their intake of either certain types of meat or the amount of meat. For example, they might eat no red or white meat (beef, pork, venison, etc), but eat fowl and fish. Or they might only eat meat once or twice a week. Someone who only eats fish can also be called a pescatarian. (Purists would say that semi-vegetarians are not vegetarians at all, but I have included them in order to show the complete hierarchy.)

2.Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians
The most common type, ovo-lacto vegetarians do not eat any animals, but do eat eggs and dairy products.
Subcategories:
 * Ovo vegetarians (eat eggs but not dairy)
 * Lacto vegetarians (eat dairy but not eggs)

3.Vegans
Vegans eat no animal products - no eggs, no dairy, no honey, etc.

4.Raw/Living Foodists
Raw or Living Foodists eat only raw food, because enzymes are destroyed by normal cooking processes.

5.Fruitarians
Fruitarians eat only fruit, fruit-like vegetables (e.g., tomatoes, cucumbers), and sometimes seeds and nuts.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you going vegetarian then?

I will post some recipes to the hedgery later on tonight, but for now I found this site which looks really good:
http://www.theveggietable.com/
DISCLAIMER: All posts of this member may or may not have been posted to this forum when said member was in altered states of consciousness. This member shall not be held responsible for any physical, mental, emotional and magickal injury, due to inexperienced people using said member's posts for their own intent. For totally reliable information, please consult an officially qualified professional in your local area. ALL POSTS ARE USED AT THEIR OWN RISK!

A dream is an answer to a question we haven't yet figured out how to ask

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:44:48 pm »
Thanks for those sites Bee and Arihanna, I'm definately gonna have a look.

Arihanna, as to the why, lets just say that I'm tired of not getting the astral projection right and I'm getting desperate, so willing to see if this will make a difference (and I'm sure it will be good for my health too).

I'm probably gonna do it gradually, by cutting down on the amount of meat I eat, till its cut out completely (if I last that long).

Offline Re@PeR

• Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • Neophyte In Training
    • Way of the Rede
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:24:15 pm »
To make things easier at first, start by simply cutting out that portion of meat on your plate and replacing it with something else or simply add more of the other food on your plate. That's pretty much how I started before completely going vegan (except for the occasional slice of cheese I still eat)

Once your body is used to cutting out that lump of meat and you've became used to all the extra energy (which is overwhelming at first), you can start to customize your diet towards your own needs (most people I've spoken to feel better within a week).
Being vegan / vegetarian is about understanding what you're putting into your body, knowing your body well enough to know how your body reacts to food and tweaking elements in your diet until you achieve optimum levels of energy and health.

And it's also about enjoying the food you eat, if you're in tune with how your body reacts to food, you'll soon get a feeling for which foods you love to eat and which foods doesn't work well with your body. (if you get a headache or feel drained from eating certain types of food, you're technically not enjoying it, unless you love getting headaches and feeling drained)

@Bee, living healthy (or extremely healthy) is expensive (relative to normal diets), you can be vegan / vegetarian and still be unhealthy if you don't get the right nutrients in your diet.
Balancing Eastern and Western, Chaos and Order
Contact me on reaper@wayotherede.com

Offline Re@PeR

• Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • Neophyte In Training
    • Way of the Rede
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
@Arihanna, interesting post, after reading that, I guess I'm a fusion between Vegan and Raw/Living Foodists. I still have the occasional slice of cheese or mix a teaspoon of honey with something if I need it to be sweeter, but that's the only animal products I use (maybe twice a month at most), otherwise I keep most of my food raw except for the occasional cooked portion (usually cooked beetroot, brocolli or cauliflower from the kitchen) when I run out of raw food (fruit and veggies) to eat.

Offline Frater A.S.

• Senior
    • The Golden Dawn
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 07:32:40 pm »
My advice: You need a reason and it has to be a good one, a very good one, i got stuck in my studies and i just couldn't seem to advance, i cut out meat and every thing just fell into place. i cant describe it was like the universe wanted me to sacrifice something to let me move forward. i had wanted to become vegetarian for a few years before i took the plunge, it just took meeting a pig, she was such a cool pig and i couldn't imagine eating her, she lives at my sister in-laws farm (sister in-law is a vegetarian as well) that finally connected the dots, and until those dots connect you wont become a vegetarian, it doesn't matter how hard you try. im not trying to put you off im just pointing out a few truths, like no more jelly beans or jelly tots, and i love jelly beans and jelly tots, (the Manhattan jelly beans are crap, and we now get gelatin free jelly tots but they are a bit crappy as well). Say goodbye to eating at 95% of restaurants, you will see what i mean.

1. buy a good protein shake, you will crave meat like a drug, protein shake helps to confuse the body, i think a chicken breast is about 20 to 30 g protein a good protein shake can contain 40 to 50g protein and it is far better absorbed by the body. Just make sure if you crave meat you drink a shake, and you need to drink lots of water cause protein shake puts huge strain on the kidneys.

2. Don't give up meat completely at first make it one veg meal a week then 2 then 3 ect...

3 you will be tired the body takes time to adjust, leave it, its just the body adjusting, you will have more energy and life force than you have ever had when you ate meat, once your body adjusts

4. you need to have a fairly good idea of what the body need nutrition wise, visit a dietician, otherwise you are going to start replacing meat with carbs and that is not a good habit to get into, you can also do a huge amount of damage to your health, by being a bad vegetarian.

5. always remind yourself, when tempted, if you are a vegetarian and you eat meat, you will be sick, you will vomit and your body will react very badly to the meat, and never forget, that it will help you resist the temptation.

6. Vegan is hard, very hard, and i love tofu and soya milk, most i can go is about a  week of a vegan diet and then i need a great big cheese sandwitch, aim for Vegetarian and then if you can go Vegan, it is a better choice.

7. When meat starts to repulse you, you will have crossed the line, i cant even go near the meat counter in a shop it just stinks, and repulses me.

8. you need to be an imaginative cook, you need to make something else the main part of your meal, cause meat is normally the main part of a meal.

9. learn to read food labels they stick parts of dead animals in the strangest things, and as long as you eat those small bits of dead animal you will be hooked, you need to commit to not eating meat again in any form (i sound a bit like a PETA supported there).

10. its a  :censor:  load cheaper than eating meat, you can cut your food bill in half, literally.

and if you can lay of the meat your "spacial awareness" if i can call it that will increase, i cant describe it you will know when it happens, your eyes will open, bit like when you realized mainstream Christianity was a load of crap, except more real, once that happens you wont eat meat again, it blocks you.

trust me being Vegetarian is not something you do for a time period if your commit its something you do for rest of your life and you will see why.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:34:10 pm by Frater A.S. »

Offline Re@PeR

• Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • Neophyte In Training
    • Way of the Rede
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:35 pm »
I've found a vegan friendly protein powder that has a complete amino acid profile, it's a rice protein extract, beats any soya crap or even the best of the best whey protein supplements with a 98.2% absorption rate. Trust me, I've experimented with all of them and no protein powder comes close to this rice protein extract.

http://www.sunfood.com/buy/1/37/444/Sun-Warrior-Protein--Natural--1Kg-2-2lbs--raw--GMO-free--vegan-/1397.aspx

http://www.sunfood.com/buy/1/37/445/Sun-Warrior-Protein--Vanilla--1Kg-2-2lbs--raw--GMO-free--vegan-/1398.aspx

http://www.sunfood.com/buy/1/37/446/Sun-Warrior-Protein--Chocolate--1Kg-2-2lbs--raw--GMO-free--vegan-/1399.aspx

PS, the higher the quality of the protein supplement you're looking at, the more expensive it becomes, if you're looking for something that won't break the bank, Muscle Science is a fantastic whey protein powder that you can buy in bulk and will last you for many months. It's about R600 for a large drum of it and will last you about 6 months. Stay away from USN, quality is terrible.

I echo what Frater said, switched over to mostly vegetarian from a heavily loaded meat diet in August 2007 and whenever I look at meat these days, I feel like puking, cooked, braaied or whatever is done to it, the stench crawls up my nose and I have to get away from it or hold my breath.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:57:31 pm by Re@PeR »

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »
Thank Re@P's and Frater.

Frater, I'm not sure my reason is good enough, but I'm willing to give it a try. Problem is, I know how much meat products there is in 'other's stuff so not sure how well it will work out. I'm defiantely not going to go vegan (although, who knows what the future will hold). The protein shakes are a good idea.....are they the body building type shakes or complan type shakes? Are they expensive?

I'm definately gonna do it gradually or I know I won't stick to it. I'm gonna give it a damn good try though.

Re@P's I need to have stuff I can get easily, like from the supermarket etc.

By the way, what about things like rice, pronutro, cornflakes, rice crispies, bread, marge?????

Offline Re@PeR

• Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • Neophyte In Training
    • Way of the Rede
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:00:29 pm »
@Satyr, should probably have posted this in a reply and not have edited my post.

PS, the higher the quality of the protein supplement you're looking at, the more expensive it becomes, if you're looking for something that won't break the bank, Muscle Science is a fantastic whey protein powder that you can buy in bulk and will last you for many months. It's about R600 for a large drum of it and will last you about 6 months. Stay away from USN, quality is terrible.

Muscle Science (use whey protein, not soya) you can get from any decent pharmacy stocking body building supplements (the one around the corner of Toys R Us in Bellville comes to mind), been using it for about 8 months before I switched over to the rice protein which I have to import.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 08:40:39 pm by Re@PeR »

Offline Frater A.S.

• Senior
    • The Golden Dawn
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 08:06:05 pm »
Oh yes and the moment you decide to nibble on the flesh of a another animal, all that the universe gave you while you were a vegetarian will be taken away.

hee hee but that is just the Christian fundamentalist coming out in me ;)

on a slightly different note the early Gnostiscis were Pescetarians, the main reason the human body needs an oil i cant remember ii thinks its one of the omega 6s that you only can get from fish, flax seed although similar is not the same as the one from fish, in biblical times supplements were not that far advanced as they are today, there is no account in the Bible of Jesus eating any other meat than fish.

Offline Frater A.S.

• Senior
    • The Golden Dawn
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »
i strangely enough i like the USN ones, the 3 protein slow release STS i think its called, in terms of kick boxing and weight training it has muscle repairing agents in it, i have heard bad things about it USN about adding stuff to the shake, but it has done me well, and that is about R260 for a month supply which may sound expensive unless you compare it to meat which is a hell of a lot more expensive, and is filled with fat. Whey protein has little to no fat in it and is very easily absorbed.

Offline Frater A.S.

• Senior
    • The Golden Dawn
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:29:48 pm »
I echo what Frater said, switched over to mostly vegetarian from a heavily loaded meat diet in August 2007 and whenever I look at meat these days, I feel like puking, cooked, braaied or whatever is done to it, the stench crawls up my nose and I have to get away from it or hold my breath.

and with out fail they put the cheese counter next to the dead animal counter, and it stinks, i too have to hold my breath,  dont even get me started on the fish counter to the right of the dead animal counter, shame.

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 09:00:48 pm »
With regard to the protein shakes, I'll probably initially go with whichever one is cheaper or easier for me to get. If I get more serious about the whole thing, I'll rethink that and do some research.

Offline Re@PeR

• Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • Neophyte In Training
    • Way of the Rede
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 07:13:38 am »
Protein shakes you don't want to cut corners on (if you decide to make use of them, you don't really need them), if you go cheap, you'll end up with low quality stuff that has all sorts of nasty additives, aspartame, artificial sweeteners and other nasty stuff comes to mind, that'll be a lot worse than just eating meat.
Make a list of what you can find and I'll take a look at them (not that I'm an expert, but I have experimented with enough of these supplements to know which ones not to use)