Author Topic: A Reality Check on Magick  (Read 2961 times)

Damon

A Reality Check on Magick
« on: October 04, 2008, 10:29:16 pm »
I think the following list of common-sense advice from a self-defined Hedgewitch is worth 5000 laws of magic.

A Reality Check on Magick

http://walkingthehedge.net/blog/category/grimoire/

Only YOU are responsible if you bungle a spell and harm yourself or others.

Spells that change the color of your hair, change red traffic lights to green, make you invisible and such DO NOT WORK. This is not Hollywood.

Spells that force a person to act or feel against their own free will rarely work, and when they do, they always wear off. There is also a high price to be paid for such spells, so think twice.

If you think you have been cursed or some such thing, chances are you HAVE NOT been cursed, you’re just having a run of bad luck.

Start small and work towards the big stuff.

Use your common sense.

Make sure that any work you do is worth any backlash you may receive.

Choose your words carefully.

Magick is a not cure-all for your life’s problems.

Magick takes a lot of energy out of you; it is not advisable to cast spells while ill or tired.

Energy work, such as working with tarot cards or casting spells, can be very wearing on your natural reserves, try not to over do it.

Bragging about how powerful you are makes you look like a loser.

Never raise something you cannot put down.

Know what you are getting into, do your research.

All the cool looking tools in the world will not make your spells more powerful if you do not know what you are doing.

http://walkingthehedge.net/blog/category/grimoire/

Damon

Re: A Reality Check on Magick
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 10:41:50 pm »
Yeh, right.  :smile: I think it's covered by "Never raise something you cannot put down."  :lol:

"Spells that force a person to act or feel against their own free will rarely work, and when they do, they always wear off. There is also a high price to be paid for such spells, so think twice."

:smile:

Offline Jedarach

• Druwydd Sheath Jedarach
  • Adept
  • Daemon Bruddha
    • Omix Creations - Website Development Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 03:33:55 pm »
One rule I adhere to echos the Rede quite well. "Allow others their freedom, and allow yourself your freedom."
Any magick or intention that goes against the will of someone/thing else creates karma. Good or bad karma is merely karma and part of the experience of life. I am not advocating creating bad karma - just that good and bad are merely divisions of the whole.

Any consistent thought attracts similar atoms towards it. Buddha once said/wrote, "...An impure mind surrounds itself with impure things and a pure mind surrounds itself with pure things; hence, surroundings have no more limits than the activities of the mind..."
"Love All! All is True!"
"If one is wrong and one is right, then both are unbalanced. This is a reflection of karma."

Offline Brighid

• Supernatural
  • Live for NOW, THEN has passed
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:24:29 pm »
One rule I adhere to echos the Rede quite well. "Allow others their freedom, and allow yourself your freedom."
Any magick or intention that goes against the will of someone/thing else creates karma. Good or bad karma is merely karma and part of the experience of life. I am not advocating creating bad karma - just that good and bad are merely divisions of the whole.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think far too often that which we desire clouds our vision, much like having eyes too big for your belly and not being able to stoamch all you have chosen. One cannot stress enough that INTENTION is the key element in any working but can also be the most dangerous.
We keep running faster now, but it's our souls that lie a hundred miles behind the rush of time.

Offline Jedarach

• Druwydd Sheath Jedarach
  • Adept
  • Daemon Bruddha
    • Omix Creations - Website Development Solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:32:07 am »
I always wondered about psychopathic killers etc. Here's someone who doesn't believe that killing is bad. Does that make it alright?
On a deeper level, is this psychopath really not bothered, or mising some essential component of ethic or morality?

If his intention is to kill, the karma is the same. Any action "come back to thee times three."
How do you teach (as the Creator/Source) someone the repurcussions of their actions? Bring them back as the victim of their actions. This way, we learn!

We are essentially - I think - evolving constantly, or at least, learning constantly.
"Love All! All is True!"
"If one is wrong and one is right, then both are unbalanced. This is a reflection of karma."

Offline FyreByrde

• Flamethrower
  • Supernatural
  • There is no magic.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:15 am »
Well, one rule I've pretty much grown up with: Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
It's practically cliched these days, but it still holds a lot of meaning if you think carefully about it.

@Jedarach: not sure about psychopaths, but my understanding is that a Sociopath is a person who cannot feel emotion, and has no 'conscience' - no distinction between good and bad, or at least no internal desire to follow one or the other. The ultimate free will so to speak. I'm not entirely certain that someone who has no moral hardwiring to speak of can actually benefit from moral punishment, thus karma doesn't work on them.
But I'm only a hack psyche-reader, so I can't comment too strongly.
There is a curse.                                                                      

They say:
May you live in Interesting Times.                             

~ Terry Pratchett ~

Jesus owns and wears a bracelet that reads: "WWRD?"         Fear the Koekemoer