Author Topic: How Does Your Garden Grow....  (Read 31511 times)

Offline MoonWolf

• Elite
  • ex nihilo nihil fil
Re: How Does Your Garden Grow....
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 03:21:58 pm »
hmmm, sound like worms of some sort - they tend to chomp from the outside - but yeah, go check at night - you can't fight what you can't see...
He who walks alone walks farthest.

Offline Oldsoul

• Supernatural
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 06:19:30 pm »
Something is eating my spinach!!

Cant see the little buggers, but the leaves are being noshed at an alarmimg rate

Spinach?  Defnitely not Me, uh huh, no way!. I was not even there.
"Nulla scientia, quae nos magis certificet de divinitate Christi, quam Magia et Cabala"
Giovanni Pico della Mirandola.
"There is no knowledge that convinces us more of the divinity of Christ than magic and the Kabbalah"

When all else fails - Blow it up!

Offline LADYICE

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:46 pm »
Rowan take a spray bottle add 5 tsp of sunlight dishwasher liquid. Spray plants with it. Used in organic farming for pest control:-)

Offline Rowan

• Supernatural
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2008, 10:53:33 am »
Thx lady ice I'll try that!!
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

By Air, Fire, Earth and Water
All things are created.
By Spirit,are all things entwined

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline LADYICE

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2009, 11:59:53 pm »
All my plants are starting to depart for the winter I am so looking forward to ostara. My favourite time of the year. Just a few months away

Offline Rowan

• Supernatural
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2009, 06:11:02 am »
I want to go and start planting for my spring crops as well, I want to plant some peas especially, I believe they do well in hanging pots!!!
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." — Marilyn Monroe

All things are created.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline SilvrDragon

• Fantasy Appreciation
  • Archaeophyte
    • Embracing Gaia
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2009, 10:19:51 am »
Ooh, you all make me so keen to dig up my lawn and start a garden. But methinks I should first finish sorting the house before I do the garden.
Sometimes you have to destroy your life to let the next great thing happen.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society
--Krishnamurti

Offline nightmoon

• Solitary
  • Dragon Magick
  • Supernatural
  • It's OK to be different
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:12 am »
I now have green beans, beetroot, spinach, brussel sprouts and broccoli growing. The dogs have trampled the tomatoes and carrots so hope i can salvage some!
Do not lead me into temptation; I can find the way myself! (Rita Mae Brown)

Offline Rowan

• Supernatural
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 06:36:57 pm »
So the tyre garden has started.
I cut the one side of 2 tyres today, and have prepped and planted in one.

I planted Dill and marigold, in preparation for the cucumbers that we will buy tomorrow. I have put them next to the wooden fence that surrounds our circle, so the cucumbers can grow up the fence like vines...

It surprising how big a tyre is when you plant it!!

All things are created.

Offline SilvrDragon

• Fantasy Appreciation
  • Archaeophyte
    • Embracing Gaia
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
Awesome Rowan.

--Krishnamurti

Offline Fireheart

• Initiate
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2009, 12:00:00 pm »
Sigh. I just gobbled up all 4 pages of this thread!
I luuuuurve gardening, although only a beginner at this stage. Ive been working on mine for over a year! My herbs are all in containers at the mo and not many of them yet, but its getting there. Have a big yard, just not that much garden, the house owner thought it would be a good idea to cement half the yard! Am so chuffed! I can literally see my jasmine grow, its creeping up one of the poles supporting my "afdakkie" in front of the "stoep":)My Lavender is also blooming soooo beautifully. Nursing my sage and chilli's at the mo... I have this HUGE bright red hibiscus which is also growing at an alarming rate. And discovered we have a whole patch of white cala lillies growing in one part of the garden!!! Just a pitty, that not everything survives in this Mozambican heat. The sun is relentless and the 3 trees ive planted since moving in are still babies, although the mango tree is a monster of a baby im telling you. Hopefully someday my yard will have sufficient shade!

I also constructed a wooden arch and planted bougaenvilla(spelling??) on either side, which is coming along nicely too! So smug at the mo that its still standing! Theo(my fiance) was giggling that it looked crooked and probably wont stand upright for long! Ahh the satisfaction of proving him wrong so far:) hie hie hie. Its been 6 months! Hope it does last though!
"Into every life a little rain will fall,
 buy some boots and splash in the puddles"

Offline Rowan

• Supernatural
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2009, 12:22:37 pm »
LOL nice one Fireheart!!

I love hibiscus's I think they are the happiest looking flower!!

My update....

Ok got Italian parsley planted, it has looked like it is struggling for a few weeks, bit looked a little stronger last night, so thats all good!!

I have green pepper seedlings out, 3 of them in the garden, and another 6 still in the seedling tray, but I have to plant ehm out soon, the poor things are huge in the tray!!

Also got comfrey borage, tomatoes and basil on the go, and some beans coming up as well!! Oh and Frater has planted mielies...
I think thats about it, although we do still have spinach plants from last year that are going strong!

All things are created.

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2009, 12:30:18 pm »
We planted tomatoes, some in beds and some in a hanging sack and they are all coming up nicely. The tomato plant that somehow found its way into the bed with the renunculas (sp?) has some little (still green) tomatos on it already. I also have a potato growing in the bed in the lane at the side of the house where I often throw peelings. I have oregano in the lane and also a lavender which is so big you can hardly get past it now. The rosemary that the chicken sleeps in is growing furiously as well. Oh, and I have a basil plant growing on my kitchen windowsil - to keep the flies out.

I still want to grow some parsley, cause I use lots of that in my food.

Offline SilvrDragon

• Fantasy Appreciation
  • Archaeophyte
    • Embracing Gaia
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2009, 03:24:08 pm »
I planted tomatoes, basil, beans (although only one survived), rosemary, origanum & spinach and geranium. Also got borage in a pot (not sure where to plant it since I know it can give rashes and not all plants like it. And then because I used organic waste (all leftover peelings, etc) as my compost when preparing the patch, I now have so many extra tomatoes, some butternut and some some gem squash. And every day find new tomato, gem & butternut plants popping up. I'm now starting to give plants away, so if anyone needs, shout. My garden is too small for the amount of plants that are popping up. This is because I was silly enough not to think about seeds in tomatoes, squash & butternut when digging in my compost that had been standing forever in a bin).

There's lavender in the front yard which is growing really well. And I revived the plum tree. Also planted a lemon tree and an orange tree. And although one cat mint got ravaged by the gardener who didn't notice it when he was digging up a piece of lawn, got another one which I will plant soon.

I'm so proud. I moved into the house in January. The yards were full of brown grass, a dead looking plum tree and some bushes in the front.

Since then, grass is green and healthy, lots of veggies & herbs and some fruit trees all doing well. I'm feeling quite proud of my garden.

--Krishnamurti

Offline Rowan

• Supernatural
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2009, 05:32:31 pm »
Thats awesome SD!! Its amazing the sense of achievement you can feel when looking at a garden you've put your hard work into!!

All things are created.