Author Topic: Smoking/overeating...  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
Re: Smoking/overeating...
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 09:48:53 pm »
You are so right there punpkomg.

My feelings about this are that it definately goes by intent. If you do something with absolutly no intent of harming anybody, then karma won't affect you, on the other hand if you do something intentionally that you know can harm yourself and others........ However, I also agree with the good karma balancing out the bad karma. So if you smoke and you know (these days, you have to know its harming you) its harming you, but youre now addicted and you do lots of other things that bring you good karma, I think you're alright.

In the end, I think it all comes down to balance and intent and that applies to pretty much anything you do, good or bad.
Yes, but I have to agree with Punp - Mugabe and Hitler and Castro were only doing "good" too...

punpkomg

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 10:52:52 am »
i don't know about mugabe... unless he truly is senile, he has to know how much he's f**king his peoples future. (although he probably does think he has no blame; it's all the rest of the worlds fault!--- remember when you point a finger you have three pointing back at you)

Zephyr

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 11:56:18 am »
I am a heavy smoker... up to 3 packs a day and yet... the amount of smoke I intentionally put into my lungs is FAR less than the amount that gets into them when I take a walk into Malvern, with cars, trucks etc passing me in their hundreds... actually, enough heavy trucks go past my front door, vibrating my whole house and belching out more fumes, which I then inhale, than a whole carton a day would do...

When I homeschooled the children, whn they were with me 24/7, around 3 adults ALL smoking, there was nothing wrong with them. They were rarely ill, except for the occasional cold, and never had to see a doctor. Then they went to school!!! They were then permanently sniffling and snuffling, full of lice and... etc etc etc Since they have been in the childrens home they have had to see the doctor often!!! Measles and Mumps being just 2 things they have sufered. (Although I firmly believe that children should get these childhood diseases when YOUNG, as getting them when older is DANGEROUS, so I am glad they hav had them... I had chicken pox in my 30's and almost died)!!!

Basically, they were around 3 smokers and never suffered, they were removed and now are always sick... I also think their mental/emotional health, (they were forcibly removed from me, screaming hysterically), has made their physical wellbeing suffer.

Zachary is showing 'possible signs of Multiple Personality Disorder' which has me extremely worried... and for which I blame the Christian, (Yep, it was a Christian), Social Services!!! My poor children have suffered so much.... mad Landlords traumatising them and then CSS 'stealing' them!!!

I digress... but the point is... MY smoking never caused them harm... but other things, beyond my control, seem to have done so....

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 12:33:53 pm »
I digress... but the point is... MY smoking never caused them harm...
Not trying to be a bitch here - I have been present at the dissection of a smoker's lungs and it's not pretty. We have a whole part of our medical museum dedicated to the difference between the lungs of smokers and non smokers and I can assure you there is a HUGE difference. The one is pink and can easily expand and the other looks like a piece of black tar...

Zephyr

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 12:48:22 pm »
Not trying to be a bitch here

hmmmmmmmmmmmm, *ponders on this*  :lol:

Actually, I have seen them too.

I also had 2 great Uncles... the one a heavy smoker and the other a hermit... lived in a cottage in the forest, never drank, never smoked. The smoker lived to his 90's, the hermit died of lung cancer in his late 50's....

I have been smoking since I was 14... my lungs have SOME loss, but they are otherwise fine. Black maybe, but work well :)

Eish, they are my lungs, they will obey!!!  :lol: :lol:

Offline Bee

• Granddaughter of Hecate
  • Supernatural
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 12:49:36 pm »
My dad was also a heavy smoker, he smoked that flat red box Dunhills… almost 2 a day.  He had a very stressful job, also had the worst stomach aches for years and years, he never had it checked out.  One fine day it got so bad he finally gave in, went to the Dr and they found his entire stomach was full of cancer so they removed his whole stomach.  So in all fairness, the smoking did not cause his cancer, he had stomach ulcers that was left untreated for years, the smoking only helped turn them into malignant cancers… my wording might be off but that is what the Dr’s told my dad what happened.  My aunt, bless her, she died a few years ago, we shared a birthday also smoked heavily and drank just as much.  Poor soul also got cancer, breast cancer I think she smoke until her last days, lol, I think she thought “hell, I’m dying anyway.” I think lifestyle has a lot to do with getting ill, but perfectly healthy (seemingly healthy) people get ill too.  Ugh, you know, I don’t know… we’re screwed anyway, we’re all going to die.
Darkness does not always equate evil, just as light does not always brings good.

Zephyr

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 01:01:30 pm »
The only certain thing about life is DEATH  :biggrin: Some famous dude/ess said this, dunno who :D

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:43 pm »
My dad was also a heavy smoker, he smoked that flat red box Dunhills… almost 2 a day.  He had a very stressful job, also had the worst stomach aches for years and years, he never had it checked out.  One fine day it got so bad he finally gave in, went to the Dr and they found his entire stomach was full of cancer so they removed his whole stomach.  So in all fairness, the smoking did not cause his cancer, he had stomach ulcers that was left untreated for years, the smoking only helped turn them into malignant cancers… my wording might be off but that is what the Dr’s told my dad what happened.    My aunt, bless her, she died a few years ago, we shared a birthday also smoked heavily and drank just as much.  Poor soul also got cancer, breast cancer I think she smoke until her last days, lol, I think she thought “hell, I’m dying anyway.”  I think lifestyle has a lot to do with getting ill, but perfectly healthy (seemingly healthy) people get ill too.    Ugh, you know, I don’t know… we’re screwed anyway, we’re all going to die.
If you give someone small doses of poison each day, he might die in a car crash. Is it morally acceptable to give someone poison?

Zephyr

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2008, 01:19:09 pm »
If you give someone small doses of poison each day, he might die in a car crash. Is it morally acceptable to give someone poison?

Actually, yes... some famous leader or other was so terrified of being poisoned that he would take small doses of arsenic and cyanide, etc, to become immune... I think he was shot/stabbed or something  :lol:

Offline Bee

• Granddaughter of Hecate
  • Supernatural
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2008, 01:30:55 pm »
I’m playing it safe, I don’t smoke, drink that much and I don’t do drugs anymore.     In the end, you can’t tell people what to do and what not to.  I know, I’ve seen how stubborn people can be, my dad stopped smoking but he now drinks, my husband also smokes a lot and he’s not really interested in quitting.  I make him smoke outside though.
Darkness does not always equate evil, just as light does not always brings good.

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2008, 01:41:54 pm »
I personally have nothing against people smoking, but the dilemma comes in when you subscribe to a code of "harm none" and then do something that is harming...

Zephyr

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 01:54:48 pm »
"Harm none" can often be taken too literally....

We believe in the divine being imminent in EVERYTHING... animal, mineral and vegetable. Many Vegans use the rede as an excuse not to partake of meat. BUT, vegetation is also part of the divine so then, if the rede is your excuse to be vegan, are you not killing veggies and eating them? Just how far do we take the rede?

If someone breaks into my home or threatens my family in ANY way, I WILL retaliate and HARM the perp...

If I see a car bearing down on an animal in the road, I will try and rescue that animal, even if the car then has to swerve out of the way and crash!!!

There are just so many ways our choices to prevent harm can actually cause harm...

I traumatised my daughter by throwing her into a police station because she refused to come home... but... she learnt the consequences of her actions, and that she must face the consequences of ANY action... (Not like my hubby who's mum always molly-coddled him and covered for him so he doesn't know right from wrong... and never sees wrong in his doing). Daughter is now a well-adjusted and level headed, to some extent, adult who knows right from wrong and is prepared to suffer the consequences of anything she does...

We punish our children... thus harming them... but in the long run, we are doing more good.

We do a lot of things considered harm... I have a garden service come in twice a month chopping grass and overgrown bushes etc.... harming vegetation. But I feel i am doing more good... (and if I dont then the neighbours complain and the health dept comes around, lol).

So....

Where do we draw the line????

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 02:01:41 pm »
Where do we draw the line? ???
We strife to cause the least amount of harm.

Zephyr

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 02:09:33 pm »
presactly :D

What we consider harm may, in the long run, do more good.

Smoking, to me, is a stress reliever and a habit. I went to the doc once with bronchitis and he said I should give up so I said, I cant, he asked why so I said... "Then what do I do with my HANDS?"
He laughed, said he understood and took out a pack and we sat and had a ciggy together :)

I would prefer to smoke than go onto drugs to relieve my stress and, oft times, depression. Or maybe take out my anger etc by hitting someone or something. And my smoke is just a small % of the other vile fumes my lung ingests, as I live next to a main road and a railway!!! The vile dust and fumes etc from the harbour wafts this way too....
I think my smoking is the least of my worries when it comes to my lungs... and also, I can only blame myself for the nicotine in my lungs... the other gunk was put there by other people.... :)

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 02:45:48 pm »
presactly :D

What we consider harm may, in the long run, do more good.

Smoking, to me, is a stress reliever and a habit. I went to the doc once with bronchitis and he said I should give up so I said, I cant, he asked why so I said... "Then what do I do with my HANDS?"
He laughed, said he understood and took out a pack and we sat and had a ciggy together :)

I would prefer to smoke than go onto drugs to relieve my stress and, oft times, depression. Or maybe take out my anger etc by hitting someone or something. And my smoke is just a small % of the other vile fumes my lung ingests, as I live next to a main road and a railway!!! The vile dust and fumes etc from the harbour wafts this way too....
I think my smoking is the least of my worries when it comes to my lungs... and also, I can only blame myself for the nicotine in my lungs... the other gunk was put there by other people.... :)

BUT consider the alternative: you develop a breathing technique or something to help reduce stress. You reduce stress, don't kill yourself, or those around you with smoke. Wouldn't that fit better with 'harm none' ?