Author Topic: Smoking/overeating...  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
Smoking/overeating...
« on: April 27, 2008, 08:05:42 pm »
Please note the below is not a reference to anybody in specific, just a general ethics debate.

"An it harm none, do what you will"

Is smoking too much thus not acceptable? (social smoking once in a while I think reduces stress and is good for you...or is that just me?)

Same for eating: is being fat against the rede? - you are indeed harming yourself and natural resources by using too much.

Offline Bee

• Granddaughter of Hecate
  • Supernatural
Re: Smoking/overeating...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:40:22 pm »
I think anytime you over do something to a point where it’s harmful it’s bad for you and against the Rede.

Anything in moderation is okay.  I will not go as far as to say being fat is against the Rede, people are overweight for a few reasons, and many can be rather valid.

Morbidly obese to the point where you can not get up from your bed and leave your room… may be another story.   
Darkness does not always equate evil, just as light does not always brings good.

Offline Moonflower

• Star
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:37:44 pm »
Hummm that is interesting.
The way I have understood the Rede is that any harm done to another as well as yourself intentional has an outcome.

We all know that smoking is bad, to a point. Keeping in mind that the tests and experiments that the scientists have published are flawed.

For instance, the amount of smoke that the rats were exposed to in the tests of secondary smoke is more than 40 cigarettes in a confined area with no ventilation.  The amount of people that are Healthy that get lung cancer, heart attaches and emphysema, is large. Yes cigarettes increase your chances of them but have not be directly linked otherwise only smokers would get them. 

I feel that if a person smokes, and takes care of themselves, and does good deeds, then in a way it cancels itself out. Same as if one performs magick in against another while defending themselves under attack.

As far as Food goes, not eating and starving oneself is just as harmful to your body as overeating. If it is done intentionally then yes it is bad, but if it is not done intentionally then no, it's not.

But that's just my 2c worth

so, I pose another side to the debate. How would you feel secondary smoke would fit in?

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:28 pm »
so, I pose another side to the debate. How would you feel secondary smoke would fit in?
Isn't that the same as murder?

Offline Moonflower

• Star
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 07:31:13 pm »
I hate to say this as a smoker, but I tend to agree with you especially around children.

But, the argument would go that it would depend on the correct proven information.

Secondary smoke has an effect, but if you look at it in terms of pollution, secondary smoke plays a small part. Driving our cars while some one jogs next to the road, the person jogging is effected more than the person sitting next to you while you are smoking.

Again, this is just my 2c worth...

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:56:26 pm »
I hate to say this as a smoker, but I tend to agree with you especially around children.

But, the argument would go that it would depend on the correct proven information.

Secondary smoke has an effect, but if you look at it in terms of pollution, secondary smoke plays a small part. Driving our cars while some one jogs next to the road, the person jogging is effected more than the person sitting next to you while you are smoking.

Again, this is just my 2c worth...
True...driving a car is also killing innocent joggers...

Offline Bee

• Granddaughter of Hecate
  • Supernatural
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 08:36:42 pm »
Well, I think the resultant of an action (Karma) depends on the intention more than the action itself. 

I think very few people (well okay, I hope it’s only a few people) will get in their car and think "yay I hope I kill someone with my car's exhaust fumes" or "I plan to kill my whole family slowly through my second hand smoke."

You know, that would be wrong and against the Rede.  We smoke (well I don't) but we do not hope we give our family lung cancer and we do not hope that we get it ourselves.  So I don't think smoking and driving your car is against the Rede.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:49:05 pm by Bee »
Darkness does not always equate evil, just as light does not always brings good.

Offline Ameniatha

• Seeker of truth and knowledge
  • Archaeophyte
  • The wayward elf of the forest deep..
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:33:44 am »
Well my hubby is a smoker, and I probably have one smoke every year or two. We have to very healthy boys, but my hubs has been very good to always stand at a window, or in a doorway when smoking. And he rarely smokes in the car, if he does he rolls down the window...so this pleases me, that at least he thinks about the second hand smoke...

As for the cars...well hubby drives a diesel, and I drive an old petrol car from 1984... I sometimes wish I could afford a newer, more fuel efficient "greener" car..as I believe that we are harming the environment, and joggers  :p with the emissions from the exhausts...but we all need to drive to get around.  :sad: So this is a very double edged sword...

As for the eating bit....like Bee said earlier...Moderation is the key...with anything, esp. eating. Gluttony and Greed are two of the 7 deadly sins, and imho I think that way to many people eat cause they can...America, Brittain and even our own country are good examples of this. You see majority of people at the malls etc who are overweight, some much more that others, and when you watch them their lifestyle says everything....the eat out and probably often, the probably get takeout when at home, they drink too much Cola, and booze, eat to much biltong ans sweets... etc etc etc...you can spot them cause the whole family looks the same...and most often its people who have money...

I now only find this very much against what the reed says, but also very sad....I feel sorry for them as they have so easily fallen into the trap of greed...  :|
*Veritas Lux Mea*
Check out my recently published content on AC: My content
*Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to nurture it in solitude and to follow talent to the dark place where it leads-Erica Jong*

Offline Grifthin

• Elite
  • One aching vista, everlasting.
    • Beware the Skinks
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:20:09 am »
I don't know about smoking - but as for eating:

I'm on the chubby side, and I have to admit that sitting down with friends to nice meal is one of the things that I treasure. So yes I tend to overindulge now and then, but I think the Good cheer and general sense of welbeing that comes from gatherings like that is worth it.
"The Universe is a Tripartite: the sunlight of the material plane, the darkness of the spirit plane, and the twilight of the spaces betwixt the two." - Spirit Seer Iyanna Arienal

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Ameniatha

• Seeker of truth and knowledge
  • Archaeophyte
  • The wayward elf of the forest deep..
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:30:20 am »
I don't know about smoking - but as for eating:

I'm on the chubby side, and I have to admit that sitting down with friends to nice meal is one of the things that I treasure. So yes I tend to overindulge now and then, but I think the Good cheer and general sense of welbeing that comes from gatherings like that is worth it.

Yes I agree with that....  :smile:
*Veritas Lux Mea*
Check out my recently published content on AC: My content
*Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to nurture it in solitude and to follow talent to the dark place where it leads-Erica Jong*

punpkomg

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 08:59:13 am »
the world we have constructed for ourselves as humans makes it difficult NOT to harm those around us.. :angry:

punpkomg

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 09:00:05 am »
and ourselves  :angry:

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 09:10:10 am »
You are so right there punpkomg.

My feelings about this are that it definately goes by intent. If you do something with absolutly no intent of harming anybody, then karma won't affect you, on the other hand if you do something intentionally that you know can harm yourself and others........ However, I also agree with the good karma balancing out the bad karma. So if you smoke and you know (these days, you have to know its harming you) its harming you, but youre now addicted and you do lots of other things that bring you good karma, I think you're alright.

In the end, I think it all comes down to balance and intent and that applies to pretty much anything you do, good or bad.

punpkomg

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 09:26:16 am »
but i'm afraid their is a world between your intentions and the perceptions of others...
even if your intent is noble someone's perception of your action almost always can and will be different.
 :3':

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:39 am »
Too true Punpkomg