Author Topic: The three fold law  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Tombe

• Administrator
  • Archaeophyte
  • Rider in the wild hunt
The three fold law
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:26:34 am »
Many people feel the three-fold law should be taken literally,
many also feel it should be taken as a metaphor and that everything you do will came back in the same amount sent out.

Lat night I started thinking and decided the latter argument to be more fitting (at least for me). Please tell me what you think about the logic I used:

We have 3 people: Robin, Oldsoul, HierosGamos.
Robin hits Oldsoul - now Robin has (karma -3)
HierosGamos is the karmic facilitator and hits Robin back (HG karma -3)
Oldsoul becomes karmic facilitator and hits Robin (Oldsoul karma -3)
Robin thus hits Oldsoul back (now Robin has karma -5)
etc etc etc

In this way, the karmic debt will become infinite....

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
Re: The three fold law
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 12:23:03 pm »
My feeling on this is that its not to be taken literally, but basically means that whatever you put out there comes back to you multiplied. I don't think there's a definate "amount" involved, I think it kinda depends on what it is you're putting out.

with regard to your "calculation", you also have to realize that inbetween those people will also be doing good (to who/whatever), so their karmic debt will be decreased by the good that they are doing as well as being increased by the bad they are doing, so I think its pretty much a constant ebb and flow.

Offline Grifthin

• Elite
  • One aching vista, everlasting.
    • Beware the Skinks
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:51:44 pm »
Today I had Karma in action like never before, I did 2 nice thing's and damn! did I get repaid in turn. In all a wonderful day !
"The Universe is a Tripartite: the sunlight of the material plane, the darkness of the spirit plane, and the twilight of the spaces betwixt the two." - Spirit Seer Iyanna Arienal

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Oldsoul

• Supernatural
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:06:54 am »
@Tombe, the idea is right, but it is also a continuous thing, while we were hitting each other, each one could have done something good somewhere else. So I don't think its like keeping score, its more lilke taking responsibility for your actions. There is a post somewhere about exactly the same Karmic law.  :p
"Nulla scientia, quae nos magis certificet de divinitate Christi, quam Magia et Cabala"
Giovanni Pico della Mirandola.
"There is no knowledge that convinces us more of the divinity of Christ than magic and the Kabbalah"

When all else fails - Blow it up!

Offline Seagoat

• Spiritual Anarchist
  • Occult
  • immortality is a choice
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 01:41:30 pm »
yeah this is not something that can be calculated rigidly. i think intent also plays a big part here. but it is more metaphorical, like if you kill somebody, you cannot be killed three times over can you? but you will suffer for it three times over in other, perhaps more than one, aspects of your being. *hits Robin and Oldsoul before offering everybody some cheescake*
~A man goes to knowledge as he goes to war, wide awake, with fear, with respect, and with absolute assurance. Going to knowledge or going to war in any other manner is a mistake, and whoever makes it will live to regret his steps: Don Juan Matus~

Offline Saeth

• Wubbulus Witch of Windsor (East)
  • Elite
  • Procrastinating Pagan
    • Soulless Pink Bunny
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:00:06 am »
The karmic dept will become infinite... but you're forgetting one thing...

Let's say Oldsoul helps Satyr clean her house and gains 3 karmic points. Now Oldsoul has (karma 0)

The good deed cancels out the previous karmic debt. If s/he does another good dead, and gains 3 more karmic points, then s/he will be in karmic credit.

... is it just me, or am I making this sound like a Clicks Club Card advert?

Anyways, the point is, we may do bad things (like smack our friends around occasionally), but we don't ONLY do bad things. The good we do should at the very LEAST cancel out the bad.

And Hieros: I think if you were to kill someone, you wouldn't only suffer for that person, but would also have to deal with the consequences of indirectly hurting that person's friends and family.
Ignorance breeds fear, and fear leads to hatred. Hatred simply begets more hatred in a never-ending cycle. To combat hatred, combat ignorance. Show respect. Be willing to learn about others and they will be willing to learn about you.

We cannot expect love, tolerance and respect from other people if we don't show it first.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:28 am »
Saeth, thats exactly what I was meaning when I said it was an ebb and flow situation.

Offline Pseudonaja

• Elite
  • King of irrelevence...
    • The Middle Distance
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 09:45:19 am »
OK here are my thoughts on the topic:

Intent is the key word, but only when permitted. If you do something out of the goodness of your heart you will receive good karma, whether is succeeds or fails. On the other hand, if you're doing something because you feel you should, but actually you're meddling in someone else's life, that's bad karma because they didn't ask to be helped. Same as healing someone who doesn't want to be healed.

Karma is 3-fold for a reason. If you kill someone, no matter how hard you work and how good you become through your life you will carry that burden. Some would say "but people change!". My answer is "you should've thought about that before you killed." And linking back to my original point, if you killed accidentally you shouldn't be punished because for all you know it was their time and you were simply the facilitator.

Payment is never on time. I've seen where my good deeds have rewarded me immediately (helping a friend, who succeeded in something she couldn't have before, even with my help). Other times it sort of goes into storage for later. I've had 3 times where my financial situation went south very quickly, and all 3 times money just appeared out of nowhere. I suddenly didn't need to pay a debt or something, and the money it saved me was just enough to get going again.