Author Topic: !!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!  (Read 13426 times)

Offline SoaringSpirit

• Satyr
  • Archaeophyte
Re: !!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 04:59:23 pm »
I somehow don't think the Hindu's would classify themselves as pagan

Offline Ameniatha

• Seeker of truth and knowledge
  • Archaeophyte
  • The wayward elf of the forest deep..
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 05:03:55 pm »
Found these  that may help to clarify the whole What is a pagan debacle..... eish mense...

http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm

http://www.paganfederation.org/paganism.htm
*Veritas Lux Mea*
Check out my recently published content on AC: My content
*Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to nurture it in solitude and to follow talent to the dark place where it leads-Erica Jong*

Zephyr

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 05:14:59 pm »
Yep, Hindus are and are not adverse to the description... most of my Hindi/tamil friends are quite happy to be called Pagan... and their religion, (I have had MANY talks with them, comparing our religions), is very similar in a lot of ways... they have a triple God (Brahma, Vishnu and Siva) and a triple Goddess, (Saravasti, Lakshmi and Kali/Parvati), and believe strongly in reincarnation and Karma. Every Hindi home I have entered has an Altar erected in the lounge, and I have attended quite a few Diwali celebrations. I Love the Hindi Culture so living in Durban, the Indian Capitol of SA, is a bonus  :biggrin: Their weddings are stunning, (My mum wore a sari to one once), and colourful. You just need to know how to eat curry and rice, (normally Bryani) and Soji by hand, lol. Every year they have the Festival of Chariots and the Fire walking at the local head-temple... amazing!!! It is a very rich and colourful culture... and VERY Pagan :)

Offline Saeth

• Wubbulus Witch of Windsor (East)
  • Elite
  • Procrastinating Pagan
    • Soulless Pink Bunny
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 06:29:18 pm »

Yes of course, Hinduism and polytheistic Paganism share a lot in common, but they aren't the same thing.

I suppose you could say the same of Christianity and Islam.
Ignorance breeds fear, and fear leads to hatred. Hatred simply begets more hatred in a never-ending cycle. To combat hatred, combat ignorance. Show respect. Be willing to learn about others and they will be willing to learn about you.

We cannot expect love, tolerance and respect from other people if we don't show it first.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Ameniatha

• Archaeophyte
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2008, 07:06:40 am »
No.... but in the broadest sense of the meaning of Pagan they would be.... as far as I know Paganism is not only for classifying European pagans, but global pagans et al....

Paganism is an umbrella term for any practise involving the worship of God/Gods other than the Abrahamic one.....
*Veritas Lux Mea*
*Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to nurture it in solitude and to follow talent to the dark place where it leads-Erica Jong*

Offline Ameniatha

• Archaeophyte
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:47 am »
and to the others I still believe...

In any case is the issue of spelling not just a little pedantic??

Paganism as we know (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller, rustic", also called paynimry) is a word used to refer to various religions and religious beliefs from across the world. It is a term which, from a Western perspective, has modern connotations of spiritualist, animistic or shamanic practices or beliefs of any folk religion, and also of historical and contemporary polytheistic religions in particular.

The term can be defined broadly, to include the faith traditions outside the Abrahamic monotheistic group of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. This group includes many of the Eastern religions, Native American religions and mythologies, as well as non-Abrahamic ethnic religions in general. Characteristic of pagan traditions is the absence of proselytism and the presence of a living mythology which explains religious practice. Ergo my own reasoning...  :|

The term "pagan" is a Christian adaptation of the "gentile" of Judaism, and as such has an inherent Abrahamic bias, and pejorative connotations among Westerners, comparable to heathen, and infidel, mushrik and kafir in Islam. For this reason, ethnologists avoid the term "paganism," with its uncertain and varied meanings, in referring to traditional or historic faiths, preferring more precise categories such as polytheism, shamanism, pantheism, or animism; however others criticise the use of these terms, claiming that these are only aspects that different faiths may share and do not denote the religions themselves.

Only in the late 20th century, has "Pagan" or "Paganism" become widely used as a self-designation by adherents of Neopaganism. And as such, various modern scholars have begun to apply the term to three separate groups of faiths; Historical Polytheism (such as Celtic polytheism and Norse paganism), Folk/ethnic/Indigenous religions (such as Chinese folk religion and African traditional religion), and Neo-paganism (such as Wicca and Germanic Neopaganism). But imho all of these still fall under the umbrella term of Paganism....as was my arguement above in one of my previous posts. I do not believe that people choose to let it come down to a spelling issue.....  :rolleyes:

I would think its important to have the terminology correct rather than whether its spelt with a small "p" or a capital "P".... an even if the origins of the term are Christian, they would have had to define none believers in some manner, hence the word Pagan, pagan and PAGAN....

*Veritas Lux Mea*

Offline Robin

• The father hen
  • Administrator
  • Supernatural
  • i am the pagan your dogcr coven warned you against
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2008, 10:14:23 am »
Which ever description floats a persons boat, we focus to much on trying to lable and explain society, but the part which is utterly lacking is : we focus not on ourselves and our community enough, without any question of who practices what path, this law board is only there for general guidelines of morality be it pagan islamic christian, hinduism, doesn't matter the only thing that does matter is what can we learn from each of those paths?
The rules:
1)Spare me the BS. (an other nit/nose picking crap..
2)all those true seekers welcome.
3)fit in or f off policy.
4)when in need phone me.
5)I am the door man and i will kick your butt if you step over the line, but i will also comfort you in times of need. Edit: i am also the local fire hydrant...
6) blessings on your path.
:robin:

777) p.s forgot to add fluck with me and i will eat you for a snack.....

Offline Ameniatha

• Archaeophyte
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2008, 10:19:41 am »
@ Robin: now thats something I DO agree with... ;)
*Veritas Lux Mea*

Offline bluepearl

• Dragon Magick
  • Elite
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2008, 10:20:52 am »
Ditto on that Ameniatha :notworthy:

Offline FyreByrde

• Flamethrower
  • Supernatural
  • There is no magic.
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:57 am »
I'm just a nit-picker and inherent archivist....I need classification! :0:
There is a curse.                                                                      

They say:
May you live in Interesting Times.                             

~ Terry Pratchett ~

Jesus owns and wears a bracelet that reads: "WWRD?"         Fear the Koekemoer

Offline Ameniatha

• Archaeophyte
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2008, 11:07:17 am »
which I believe we have done now...heh
*Veritas Lux Mea*

Offline Ameniatha

• Archaeophyte
    • Ameniatha's
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 11:15:19 am »
The fact remains that Aboriginal tribes-people, American Indians, the San, Hindus, Chinese, Japanese and Traditional Africans do not self-define as pagan or as Pagan.

Perhaps from lack of knowledge of such terminology, or simply not caring for the terminology...

But ja fair enough...lets agree to disagree. ;)

Lekker discussion btw. You really had me on my toes... :)
*Veritas Lux Mea*

Offline FyreByrde

• Flamethrower
  • Supernatural
  • There is no magic.
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 11:19:01 am »
Hmmm....actually I think thatDamon may have an idea...since several non-Judeo-Christio-Muslim factions do not agree with the term Pagan, surely it should be applied only to those, for whom the definition was originally made: the Folk of Europe, Britain, Scandinavia and Asia Minor (at least in Greek occupancy.)
There is a curse.                                                                      

They say:

~ Terry Pratchett ~

Offline FyreByrde

• Flamethrower
  • Supernatural
  • There is no magic.
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 01:41:28 pm »
Fairy 'nuff! :smile: I'm just a pedant with a need to compartmentalise. :rolleyes:
There is a curse.                                                                      

They say:

~ Terry Pratchett ~

magenta

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2008, 11:16:01 am »

Christians in general, for example, will always regard Witchcraft as 'satanic' and Witches like me will always disagree simply because I reserve the right to define who and what I am for myself. I am a Reclaimer.

not all christians hun... my fiance is a christian her mother is a christian and they both understand the religion and accept me with it.... i know of many others who are the same... but in general its the non church going christians that accept us because they are not being brainwashed every week